OWL Music Search
– The idea behind this service is you upload a song, mark the section you like, and then OWL searches through a database of songs and tries to find similar music that’s under the Creative Commons license. I gave it a shot with Cubicles and it returned some alright results. I think it’s a really cool idea for swapping out temp music – maybe you’ll have better luck.
Photosynth [HD For Indies] – Mind blowing photomaping software from Microsoft. It seems like this could be an incredibly easy way to create photo-realistic 3D sets in the future. You can give the pre-beta demo a try here.
For Indie Filmmakers: How to Sell DVDs Online – Interesting distribution channel for your film, especially shorts (their top seller is a 16-minute documentary).
VidOpp.com [Film Flap]- Nice directory of video contests with the ability to filter results.
Underwater Housing for MiniDV [Film Flap] – It looks pretty solid but I wouldn’t exactly be putting the RED ONE in it anytime soon.
Nolan to Shoot Dark Knight in IMAX Format [FreshDV] – Some serious use of celluloid.
I talk with my hands – John August posts a video of a panel he was on about publicity. You can also check out his Big Fish publicity goals here.
Missing Pages – I haven’t had a chance to watch the film, but Tropist makes it sound like something not to be missed, so perhaps you’ll have time to check it out.
Planet Earth Behind the Scenes [FreshDV] -The series was amazing. I’d love to work on something like that, but then I wonder if I could lie still for twelve hours to film dancing birds. What if you have to go to the bathroom?
Tips for Succeeding as a TV Writer in Hollywood – Some pretty interesting tidbits from a blog that has nothing to do with the film industry.
1. ï¿½Every stereotype about L.A. is more true than you can possibly imagine.ï¿½
My sister once went into a meeting to pitch a TV shows about a bunch of teenagers at a boarding school where theyï¿½re trained to use magical powers. The executives at the meeting said, ï¿½We love it! We absolutely love it! But what about changing the teens to adults, and setting it on Wall Street?ï¿½ Just like you read about.
3. ï¿½Good news comes right away; bad news never comes.ï¿½
This rule applies when youï¿½re waiting to hear whether people liked an idea, a proposal, a draft, etc. If you donï¿½t hear back pretty quick, they didnï¿½t like it.
4. ï¿½You have to live in L.A. for three years before anything much happens.ï¿½
People told my sister this when she moved out there, and indeed, after sheï¿½d been there for three years, her career really picked up speed. This is largely because relationships are so important in L.A., and it takes about three years to work up a serious network.
5. ï¿½In a meeting, if someone asks if you want something to drink, say ï¿½yes.ï¿½”
Microsoft Surface Mutli-Touch Table – Could this be the future of editing?
Star Trek fan soldly goes – I’d love to have this guy build my sets.
The Helvetica movie is selling out fast – My favorite documentary from Full Frame is getting some good buzz.
Get some gourmet coffee (or tea) – I don’t know whether to be disgusted or intrigued by the weasel coffee.